Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post #6

To start off I would like to say the PLNs are very beneficial. It gives you support with what you are doing as a teacher. It provides several minds to bounce ideas off of and, to shoot questions to about problems that maybe happening in the classroom. Also it is important to "round up" so to speak like minds that are supportive. I decided to go with Symbaloo, I like the set up of it. I also like how Symbaloo utilizes the Cloud, it is really comforting to know everything I need is safely stored away. One of the reasons I like Symbaloo is that it really drives home the message of information being at your fingertips. I know I have not gotten a chance to really dive in and make connections, but I am already excited about the possibilities. For example a teacher ,that is new to the great process of Project Based Learning, could use it to quick search projects that could be utilized in class. Symbaloo can also bring up other sites quickly like Skype for a conference call with a professor around the world.
I think now that I have this tool that makes my life easier, I am going to sit back and wait like Mrs. Eva did. Mostly because I want the people in my PLN with the best qualities. It is like molding friendships the best ones take time, but I am very excited to see where it takes me!
Sources:
Building Your PLN-A Primer For Anyone
My Wonderful PLN - An Interview

reliable groups

2 comments:

  1. Hi Evan,
    My name is Leslie Cazeaux and I am in the EDM510 class. We are commenting on fellow classmate and EDM310 student's blogs on a weekly basis.

    I will be honest when I say that I have NO IDEA what a PLN was. I didn't realize that the course work of 510 was leading all of us in this direction!

    Whether we find an online resource such as Symbaloo, or just routinely view blogs, we are resourcing back and forth with other educators in order to provide the best experience for our students. Also, I have found that using Facebook with close colleagues keeps you on course as far as weekly lesson plans, quizzes, EQT requirements and resourcing in general.

    I plan on teaching high school science, and one of the many challenges is to provide cheap, workable labs that cover all STEM requirements AND keep the attention of the students. A PLN for lab information would be a great asset for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I think that PLNs are a great resource for students as well as teachers. Everything that you use on a daily basis as well as connections are right at your fingertips. I chose Symbaloo as well and did not realize that it makes use of the Cloud, that is good to know. The good thing about these PLNs is that they change as you and your needs change. You can constantly add new resources or new contacts to your lists, or remove resources if you find something that works better for you.

    ReplyDelete