Sunday, February 9, 2014

Blog Post # 4

Before I get into the details of each resource, I would like to say that they all share a common case. I think that particular case is to take time to be a teacher. What I mean by that is take THE time, make questions, think about your questions, and most importantly are your questions bettering the students or making your job easier? To start off I would like to dive into the making your job easier statement. Are the questions bettering the students or just making you feel better? Ben Johnson makes this point in The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom with his thoughts on the "Do you understand?" question. I agree with his point that the question does kind of relieve you of any remaining burden. I also liked how the Asking Questions Based on Bloom's Taxonomy stated in Asking Questions to Improve Learning would be a great tool for a teacher to use to review their own questions. Its a great rubric to really get the gears turning when developing in depth questions for the classroom.
The second topic that I found interesting was playing with the questions. The tips from Three Ways to Ask Better Questions in the Classroom and also the demonstration showed in Questioning Styles and Strategies really helped with perspective. It really made sense to pause after asking a question. I know as a child I was relieved when the teacher called on somebody right away. That scared feeling really motivates one to think, though I do not believe "scared" is what the teacher is striving for. Also I believe Joanne Chesley's Asking Better Questions in the Classroom is a great model to play with questions. Chesley really opens up the field for questions with her point of just the way you ask the question.
The lazy teacher

1 comment: